I always thought that I am not a "good-enough" mom. Not that I don't try, I'm ALWAYS trying. Then again, perhaps thinking that I am not good enough is good so that I'm always trying to be better. And why do I think that I'm not good enough? Oh well, a few things here and there. Like the fact that I sometimes have no patience at all with them, or thinking that I don't spend enough time with them, or even the fact that my other half sometimes thought I did not do a good job on something related to them.. etc etc.
I had a good one week break last week which I spent most of it with them, without much help from the maid. And this is what I observed:
1) Omar definitely preferred me to the maid.. and not so "tantrumatic" (if there's such word!) In normal days, he would have a lot of tantrums the minute I got back from work.. obviously trying to get more attention .. and of course testing my patience!
2) They behave better if I have more patience
3) I have more patience with them when I don't have to think about going to work! My concentration is only on them.
4) I managed them pretty well without the maid's help - though a bit kelam kabut at first..
5) They are a happier camp of children when we are around
I can go on and on.. all leading to positive behavior. I have noted this before and again. It's a proven example of how kids need us around them, well not all the time but most of the time. I guess they feel more confident and more loved. And this.. is the simple reason why I should forgo the my so-called "career" and stay with them at home...